Student Assistance Fund for Eastern
The Student Assistance Fund for Eastern (SAFE) provides short-term financial assistance to Eastern Kentucky University students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses due to an unexpected emergency or crisis situation.
Examples of unexpected emergency situations include accidents, illness, death of a family member, loss of property or income, unanticipated educational expenses. Priority will be given to students who are at risk of withdrawing from the university because of said expenses. Awards do not generally exceed $300.
Student emergency funds are designated to off-set short-term finanical need and are not intended to replace or supplement financial aid or scholarship. All situations are unique and will be evaluated carefully and confidentially.
Possible expenses covered (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Medications and other costs related to emergency medical care
- Temporary housing
- Safety needs
- Replacement of essential belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Travel costs related to the death or illness of an immediate family member
- Critical and time-sensitive academic needs
Expenses not covered (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities
- Regularly anticipated fixed expenses
- Parking tickets
- Must be currently enrolled and attending the semester in which the funds are being requested
- Must be a degree-seeking student
- Must have an immediate and documented financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected event
- Must have a bank account on file with EKU
- Keynote: If you are currently receiving financial aid, funding from the Emergency Fund may affect your financial aid package
Applications for emergency funds will be reviewed quickly and, if approved, every attempt will be made to disburse the funds in a timely manner. For questions or additional information please contact Dr. Lara Vance, Director of the Student Success Center.
- Complete the Student Assistance Fund for Eastern.
- Completed request is reviewed. Critera for approval and granted amounts will be based on eligibility, documentation of need, and availability of funds.
- You will be notified of a decision with follow-up instructions including meeting with a member of Student Success online or phone.
- A required follow-up form will be emailed after payment is disbursed.